Monday, October 15, 2007

NutriSystem

NutriSystem

By Isela Reyes

When my sister decided to get healthier she turned to a new eating program called NutriSystem. Designed to help you lose weight by controlling what you eat, the program promises results if used diligently. NutriSystem delivers a five week program of food right at your doorstep that consists of breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks and desserts. The program also allows you to have unlimited fruits and vegetables.

The NutriSystem program is designed to include low glycemic index carbohydrates and the right amounts of protein and fiber, yet still be low in fat. The glycemic index means that the program includes the good type of carbohydrates that will allow for you to still enjoy pasta’s and certain desserts without having to sacrifice them. The meals are to be eaten five times a day to help reduce cravings between meals.

Always skeptical of dieting programs, I nonetheless supported my sister’s efforts at a healthier lifestyle. I too cut back on junk food and began eating healthier to support her, and together we joined a gym to complement our healthier eating habits. Once the food was delivered and sorted, my sister began the system the following morning.

Fast forward to five weeks and my sister has successfully completed her first round of NutriSystem and was sufficiently satisfied that she continued with a new shipment. A little wary from her first round she was more specific in ordering her food choices as the first time around was hit or miss as far as food preferences went. Confident that she would now enjoy all her meals as she now knew what she liked from the choices, my sister eagerly began the second round.

Her eagerness to continue with the program came from her satisfaction with the system. Within three weeks my sister had lost thirteen pounds from sticking to the program, eating unlimited fruits and vegetables and including physical exercise in her regimen. I myself became more of a believer and was happy for my sister. The reason the program works is because it is real food, eaten in smaller portions throughout the day and includes more fruits and vegetables than a person would normally consume in a day.

Now I know at this point most people would think, isn’t that something that anybody can do at home without paying money to some dieting company? The obvious answer is yes, but for most people it is hard to do because it all stems from our daily habits. To stick to such a plan requires such iron will and determination that quite frankly is hard for anyone to stick to. The great thing about NutriSystem is that it is a program that can help get you on track and on the right path to change your eating habits. Once you have been through a few months of the program, your habits have already changed for the better and with the weight loss it is much easier to maintain healthier eating habits once you decide you no longer need to use the program.

Seeing the change in my sister for the better has made me a believer of NutriSystem and that it can change your eating habits for the better. People may choose to mock dieting systems as a ploy to cheat people out of their money by praying on their desperation to lose weight. While I agree that there are a lot of scams out there, I believe that NutriSystem is a great program and if anyone were to ask, I would recommend it and tell people how it helped my sister.

1 comment:

Michael J. Fitzgerald said...

In spots, this could have been more tightly written.

But overall, it was easy to read, tracked from paragraph to paragraph and mildly made me angry because I have been stuck at the same weight all fall, despite all efforts to drop 5 pounds.

This column would be a good one to follow up on towards the end of the semester - how is the sister doing then?

And the big question: What happens when the food is no longer delivered to the door?

One big thing is missing, however:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$