Thursday, October 18, 2007

Christmas

Christmas

By Isela Reyes

My favorite holiday wasn't always Christmas. Every year as a child I would always look forward to Easter, because it was always a time of gathering, family, good food and candy hunting. What child wouldn't like Easter. I never paid much attention to Christmas, it just always came and went, noticable mosty in stores where crowds would gather to buy their christmas gifts for others. I think my change of mind came when I began working in retail.

I started working for a large scale retailer in 2004, and over the years I have begun to look forward to Christmas season. It's not just the actual day that I like, but the whole season and the anticipation that builds and leads up to the day. My favorite time of the year is the winter, and that adds to my love of Christmas. I love stepping outside in the biting cold, all wrapped up in layers of coats, sweaters, scarves, gloves and boots. Seeing your breath come out in little puffs of air and sometimes sliding on the frozen frost that sparkles on the grass like tiny diamonds. It's a beatiful time during winter and having Christmas in the middle of winter just adds to it's charm for me.

Now I realize what I am about to say next may be cause for embarrassment, but I have to admit that I love that really cheesy christmas music that department stores play during the holidays. I look forward to the day after thanksgiving when I come in to work and the christmas music is already on. Christmas music always makes me feel better when I may not be having so great a day, it always lifts my spirits and makes me feel happy again.

What I especially love about Christmas is seeing all the gaudy decorations that you see draped across people's homes and scattered inside stores. Why, just yesterday in my own store we recieved a bunch of nutcrackers, ornaments and tree cloths. Just looking at them filled me with anticipation of the coming season. I love seeing the cute little santa's and snowmen ornaments that fill up the shelves of stores, each different and unique. All of these elements combine to make my Christmas my favorite holiday and time the year.

1 comment:

Michael J. Fitzgerald said...

I think this column shows real sparkle and the columnist's love of the Christmas holiday shows through.

But, it is way too short.

If the writer had pushed it to 600 words, it would have been more effective.

Good personal anecdotes help this column quite well. And with some continued discussion of the writer's opinions versus what the world thinks, this piece would be a real winner.